My #1 Goal for 2013 is for my pre-baby jeans to fit so loosely that I need to buy new ones (I figure I can justify a shopping spree since I didn’t buy any maternity clothes). That being said, I’ve been on quite the health-kick the past few weeks. I’ve cut out processed foods, tried to stay as gluten-free and organic as possible, limited my love for dark beer (my non-GF exception) to two per week and I’m feeling pretty awesome!
Adding gluten-free, organic and non-processed to the already vegan mix definitely narrows down my food options, so I’ve had to get a little creative. Today’s recipe is one of my new favorite concoctions. It tastes great and makes me feel even better. I think you may love it as well!
Here’s What You Need:
• 4oz of tempeh, broken into pieces (I love the one with flax seeds in it)
• 1/4 cup of chickpeas/garbonzo beans
• 1 small Golden Delicious Apple, chopped
• 1 small sweet onion, chopped
• 2 giant handfuls of spinach
• 2 cloves of garlic, chopped*
• 1 inch chunk of ginger, chopped*
• 1 Tbs soy sauce
• 1 Tbs maple syrup
• 1 tsp curry powder*
• Olive oil as needed
* I tend to favor extremely strong flavors, so feel free to add more or less dependent on your preferences
Here’s What You Do:
• Warm olive oil in a non-stick skillet; add onion, tempeh, apple, chickpeas, garlic & ginger.
• Sautee on high for several minutes until the onions and apples begin to soften then add the maple syrup, soy sauce & curry powder.
*The curry powder absorbs a lot of moisture, so you may need to add a little bit more oil or a small amount of water at this time as well.
• Once the apples and onions are at your desired consistency (I like my onions to remain a bit crunchy), add the spinach and sautee for several more minutes until it is softened.
This dish is not only quick, simple and vegan, it’s also gluten-free, low in calories, and high in fiber & protein. It’s the perfect post-holiday-health-kick meal that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
What are some of your favorite simple healthy recipes? I’m always looking for new things to try, so I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
Indoor Tent | Kids Rooms | Eclectic Interior | Whimsical
Interior Design | Tampa | Florida-Interior Design Blogs©