Interior Design | Tampa | Florida-Interior Design Blogs©
Gas Fireplace | Holiday Mantel | Safety Tips
Too Darn Hot!
By: Heather Culley
This past weekend I bought my annual Christmas Amaryllis. Upon asking the flower shop for a refresher on care instructions, I was reminded with the usual water and moderate daylight. What I wasn’t expecting was a warning about not placing my potted Amaryllis on top of a wall fireplace.
Although keeping my Amaryllis above the fireplace isn’t a fire hazard, the heat coming through the top of the mantle would dry it right out. This caution got me thinking about what other cautions and dangers people may forget when decorating around their gas fireplace during the holidays.
The line “The stockings were hung by the chimney with care” in The Night Before Christmas sums up a traditional Christmas scene. However, the fireplace being decorated in this story was a wood burning fireplace. A gas fireplace system operates entirely different than a wood burning fireplace and has separate rules and clearances that need to be followed.
As a general rule, the hottest parts of a gas fireplace are the glass door(s) and the surface directly above the glass. When the fireplace is in operation, items that could ignite, melt, and/or discolor should never be in these areas. Presents and wrapping paper should also be kept away from an operating gas fireplace.
There is always a cause for concern when children are in the presence of a fireplace. Safety screens are a good precaution to ensure no one comes into direct contact with a hot fireplace glass door. Most gas fireplace manufacturers have safety screens available that are made-to-measure and fit over the glass door at all times. Stand alone safety screens are a great option because you can move them out of view when needed.
Montigo is leading the industry in fireplace glass door safety with COOL PACK technology for their line of Custom gas fireplaces. Winner of the 2012 Architect Magazine Research + Design award, the COOL PACK glass reduces the glass temperatures to prevent injury upon brief contact and eliminates the need for a mesh safety screen!
So where can you decorate and not worry about setting your decorations ablaze? The ignition free “safe zone” for decorating is directly above and beside the outer edge of the mantle. Care must still be taken when placing items on the mantle, as melting and/or discoloration are still a possibility. There are many creative and safe ways to decorate for the holidays. These are a few of my favorites:
Written By: Heather Culley
Heather is the Marketing Coordinator for Montigo Fireplace.